NIPS 94 Workshop
Neural Networks for Nonlinear Signal Processing
Andrew D. Back
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
University of Queensland,
Brisbane, Qld 4072. Australia
Eric A. Wan
Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
P.O. Box 91000, Portland, Oregon, 97291. USA.
A Postscript summary of workshop is available for
Nonlinear signal processing using neural network models is a topic of recent interest
in various application areas. Recurrent networks offer a potentially rich and powerful
modelling capability though may suffer from some problems in training. On the other hand,
simpler network structures which have an overall feedforward structure, but draw more
strongly on linear signal processing approaches have been proposed. The resulting
structures can be viewed as a nonlinear generalizations of linear filters. This workshop
is aimed at addressing issues surrounding networks which may be viewed in a nonlinear
signal processing framework, focussing in particular on those which employ some form of
time delay connections and generally limited recurrent connections. We intend to
consolidate some of the recent theoretical and practical results, as well as addressing
- "Computational Capabilities of Local-Feedback Recurrent Networks"
University of Florence, Italy
- Issues in Representation: Recurrent Networks as Sequential Machines
C. Lee Giles and B.G. Horne
NEC Research Institute
- "Properties of Recursive Memory Structures"
Jose C. Principe
University of Florida
- "A Local Model Net Approach to Modeling Nonlinear Dynamic Systems"
- "A Spatio-Temporal Approach to Visual Pattern Recognition"
- "The Performance of Recurrent Networks for Classifying Time-Varying Patterns"
Tina Burrows and Mahesan Niranjan
Cambridge University Engineering Department
- "Nonlinear Infomax With Adaptive Time Delays"
The Salk Institute
- "The Sinc Tensor Product Network"
University of Utah
- "Discriminating Between Mental Tasks Using a Variety of EEG Representations"
Colorado State University